‘Tis the time of year where Canadians love to head off on vacation – whether it be for a long weekend at the cottage, or an exotic European trip, one thing to be considered before leaving is how to keep your gardens looking their best while away.
Here are a couple of tips:
- Consider moving patio plants to a shady location – even into the garage. A cooler, shadier location will help keep the soil moist and prevent evaporation, meaning less watering is required.
- Think of making simple watering devices – cut off the bottom of a pop or water bottle. Take off the cap and put the top of the bottle into the soil in your container. Fill the bottle with water – and presto – an easy-to water system.
- Pinch and prune flowers and yellowed leaves before you go to keep the plants blooming.
- Consider adding in a slow-release fertilizer (FertiCare – our preferred brand is available at GreenWay).
- Realize that smaller pots, as well as darker ones will dry out earlier. Consider putting drain pans under these pots so that excess water can be uptaken by the roots.
- Water everything well before leaving. Remember a slow, sustained watering is more beneficial than a quick, hard watering.
Feel free to ask us for more advice. We want to help you keep your gardens beautiful all season.